Thursday 30 April 2015

Twofer

Hello there Long jumps and Gravy Granules

What I'm showing you today should be my Cyprus blouse. I bought the fabric in Cyprus as I'm liking the idea of picking up fabric while on my holidays to make a wearable souvenirs. Sadly it's origins will be overshadowed by it's purpose. Ooo that makes it sound like a tale of epic redemption.

...Pity it's not really.

This is the twofer blouse so called because it meets two purposes (stupid like a fox!) Firstly this is my first attempt at the Simplicity's Star Sewist competition. I'm entering in the Vintage category which is for the Simplicity 1364 blouse. As I intend to go hack happy on the pattern I read some very sensible advice that you should make up a pattern as intended first to get an idea of it before you go changing it. Learn the rules before you break them.

Excellent advice I thought. Very wise, very sage. I almost even followed it. I'm not going to count the changes I made to length as that's a fairly standard change I have to make to everything. I'm tall and making my own clothes means I can lift my arms without exposing my midriff to the world.





I did however also changed the fastening. I'd like to say that because my second purpose for this blouse was as it was to be my entry for Lucky Lucille's Spring for Cotton that I made that change to be in keeping with the guidelines. Basically to make a vintage or vintage inspired piece using only cotton. It wasn't because, full disclosure, I used 100% polyester thread throughout.


It was because I didn't read the notions until I'd started work and I hadn't realised I needed a zip. I hate zips. I do however love buttons and have a mah-hoo-sive bag of them. As there is a tad too much ease in the pattern (the difference between your measurements and the clothing measurements is the ease e.g. a baggy top has loads and leggings don't) for my liking I folded each of the center backs in on themselves an inch to make button bands. As the fabric is quite fine I interfaced underneath.


I actually really love how this blouse turned out. I think I want a few more like this as I think they'd be excellent to work in. Nice high neck, sleeves to my elbows, long enough. So I'm going to do what I very rarely do and trace out rather than cut the pattern down (I know I know, I don't trace. Bite me) when I make my Simplicity competition entry. As I'm planning to make it in a stretchy material I don't want very much ease at all so I'm going down a size or two. So far the Burda tracing paper and I have not got on but third times a charm right?

Also lastly tomorrow is the beginning to Me Made May. I have pledged to wear an item of handmade by me clothing every day for a month. Rather than blog everyday, cause ain't nobody got time for that, I'm just going to do a weekly round up each Saturday. Might do a daily post on Instagram we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment